Tuesday Tip: Capturing memories of your kidsAugust 15th, 2012 | Posted by in motherhood | parenthood | parenting | Tips and Quips
You may have noticed that this post has a new look to it. That’s because I recently bid Blogger a fond farewell and officially made the move to WordPress. I hope you’ll bear with me as I learn how to navigate this new platform, continue to pull my old content over here and ideally, get back into a groove of more routinely sharing my musings on motherhood — along with some weekly tips and quips that I hope you find helpful and at the very least, hope give you a chuckle!
I am often asked why I write this blog and, for that matter, why I write at all. The short answer is I love to write. That’s why I’m thrilled you can now find me on The Huffington Post, Moonfrye and Irish Central in addition to some occasional stints on Parents.com. The long answer is that for me, writing is a great way to capture the memories as the days drag on but the years fly by. It is my way of preserving the minor moments, major triumphs and everything in between. With that in mind, my “tip” for this Tuesday, is to keep a journal and jot down the funny, crazy, endearing things your kids say. It need not be fancy (a simple notebook will do) but it should always be handy (in your purse, on the counter, etc.). And if it is, you too will soon have a collection of gems just like these — all of which our clan has proclaimed in the past few weeks…
- Overheard from the back seat — and delivered with compelling confidence: “Don’t you know that reindeer don’t live in the rain?! They live in the forest dummy!”
- An exasperated cry emitted far too often from our only little lady: “Ma, ____ peed on me! AGAIN!!!!!” (Such is the hazard of one little girl sharing a bathroom with three three-year olds with bad aim!)
- From an uninvited three-year observer as I got out of the shower: “Hey Ma, your boobs got bigger!” “Really?!” I responded rather gaily. “Nope, they just got longer.” And then my heart sank. Apparently just like my boobs.
- At the vet as one inquisitive fella interrogated the owner of a guinea pig: “What is that? Why is it in a towel? What does it eat? Hay? Hay isn’t food! Is he sick? What is his name? Where does he live? Why is it in a towel?” This is just a small glimpse into a long and priceless interrogation that only ended when the vet mercifully appeared to care for this shell-shocked animal… and equally shell shocked owner!
- An unfortunate observation from our 7 year old “Ma, are you having another baby? Your belly looks big!” Short answer: no. Long answer: your belly would look big too if had held five children, the last three at once and with a birth weight of over 17 pounds! So there!
- A poignant observation from that same 7 year old: “Why is that man asking for money? We should help him.”
- And, perhaps my all time favorite thus far: “Wow Mom, I love that skirt! You look like a princess!” So what if he’s only three? I now wear that skirt every other day. Well, almost…
Let me know if you have some personal faves — my understanding is that commenting should be a lot easier here than it was before. With that in mind, I’d love to hear from you and hope that in addition to sharing the funny things your kids say, you’ll give me inspiration for other “Tuesday Tips!”