Where to begin? I unwittingly took a “blog break” toward the end of 2013 although, in the big scheme of life, there wasn’t much of a break at all. Since my last post on October 9th…
- We celebrated four of our five kids’ birthdays (the 5th was actually October 6th. Oh, and the dog was Oct. 5th. And our anniversary was Oct. 12th!).
- We continued to navigate the homework challenges, social scheduling and daily juggling that hit fever pitch once the triplets hit kindergarten in September.
- We made strides in conquering the new core curriculum that turned our otherwise confident 2nd and 4th graders into whining ninnies. And me too.
- We dealt with leaky pipes, missing storm windows, a minor electrical fire and several other infractions that continue to plague the 100-year old house we bought this summer.
- We took five kids for physicals and in between dealt with strep throat, ear infections, sinus infections and a nasty rash called Molluscum Contagiosum that I hope you never have to deal with.
- We hosted 20 people on Christmas Eve and then flew to San Francisco to visit my sister and her family on Christmas Day. In between, Santa even made a visit. With gifts!
- We showered. Almost daily.
- We ate. Daily.
- We survived. Five kids, two full time jobs and one big red dog who even got a trip to the vet.
- We made resolutions — ’tis the season after all, right?
Resolution number one? Rather than focus on what we haven’t achieved, focus on what we have (see above!). The big (Birthdays! Report cards! Articles published!) and small (A shower! A roast chicken! An attempt to make chicken soup! Yay!).
I don’t want to make a promise I can’t keep but, my good friend Britta must have sensed that I’m tempted by a good challenge so, for at least the month of January, I’m going to resolve to get back in the habit of a weekly post. I hope you’ll check back in, share your thoughts and let me know what type of musings on motherhood & life in general you’d like to read about. In the meantime, you should check out Britta’s blog too… as the mom of four under four, well, she’s a hero, and as real as it gets.
Happy New Year and whatever you resolve to do, good luck sticking with it. And if you don’t, give yourself and break and remember to celebrate your successes, however small or short-lived they may be!